Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Imagine

Imagine(click to listen the mp3)

by John Lennon


Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try,
No hell below us, above us only sky,
Imagine all the people livin for today,

Imagine there's no countries,it isn't hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for and no religion too,
Imagine all the people, livin life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one,
I hope someday you'll join us and the world will be as one...

Imagine no possessions I wonder if you can,
No need for greed nor hunger, a brotherhood of men,
Imagine all the people, sharing all the wealth...

You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one,
I hope someday you'll join us and the world will live as one...



My Own Political Statement

I was just a gradeschool kid that time I watched the movie KILLING FIELDS, which was being shown on screen for free in our townplaza. It was meant by the militiary unit assigned in our town as an anti-communist propaganda to sow fear on the townspeople that the communists could not be trusted based on the Kampuchean experience as our hometown then was one of the major towns in the province which became heavily infested by communist guerillas.

Being a kid then I was not able to get the story of the movie in a deeper sense except the war, the bombings, the American journalists covering the war and a personal story of friendship between a local journalist and a journalist from New York. As the film showing went on it was interluded by short lectures by an education officer of the military, saying in sum that the communists are untrusworthy because they don't believe in God and for that he claimed communists don't value human lives.

During the dark years of the Marcos fascist rule, there was never a day in our town that we kids had not gone to the municipal lawn to see at cadavers being found and brought to the central town hall. But those dead bodies didn't belong to those killed by the communists. Most of those were identified later belonging to those residing in the city. Some were students, some were workers and some were women being summarily executed, which according to my uncle by reason of political beliefs those people had and most were being suspected and tagged as communists and communists sympathasizers and political and human right activists.

So, during that film showing I had then the misconception that people who had the communist beliefs were rightfully to be killed because they didn't value human lives. However, later on in the coming days and weeks I would not be able to understand my own misconception.

Months passed after that film showing and I though just a kid had this misinstinctive feeling of fear and disgusts on those fighting the government forces including those called activists. Not until one night, while we were having our dinner we all heard three gunshots in the street. Then there was silence and was broken by a loud cry of a woman whose voice we recognized. We heard that people outside were running and shouting. Someone had been shot in his own house! My father had his fearful suspecion then who was shot because of the voice of the woman who cried so loudly. Father went outside to find out who was it shot. I shouted, "let me go with you" but mother said, "stay!". People were beginning to gather around in one of the houses in the neighborhood and I knew whose was that. I asked my mother, "why people are coming to the house of Mrs___? Mother didn't answer for she too had her own fears who was shot. Later as father went back, I learned that Attorney____ was dead. It was him shot. He was a close acquintance and also a distant relative of my father. He was a human rights activist who offerered free service and legal counselling mostly human rights violation. He was close friend to everybody in the neighborhood, a religious family man but also he was an activist and helped to follow-up cases of abductions done by the military on people suspected by the military as communists. Maybe in my childish thought that time, my uncle helped communists.

His funeral was done in our own hometown and there was huge number of people who attended the funeral. His life was greatly valued because he helped lots of people, valued not only by the ordinary townspeople but also by prominent politicians and also by priests... and would those be "reasons enough" that he be killed?


Years passed that I watched that movie for the second time. It was that second time that I learned that the american journalist (in the movie) as he fled back to america later had the views that it was the US government which was violating human rights because thousands of innocent civilians died of the american bombings.

No comments: